31 March 2008

Checked-Off: Number Six on the Seven Deadly Sins

Over the weekend, I caught the Caps playing the Panthers. The Caps final playoff push (2 points behind Carolina) is being well covered on Comcast (tape delaying our season opener) but I have to give Comcast credit for some solid PR adverts for United. Still, the Caps finish the season with three home games. At the lovely Verizon Center.

And last night, the Nationals opened the baseball season against the Braves, and there were so many nice little touches. The color coordinated seats, the ubiquitous curly Ws, the stone work behind home-plate, it felt like a truly wonderful locale for a baseball game.

And now I'm thinking of RFK, and the lack of a true home for United. The orange seats, the banners hung awkwardly on the walls... It just doesn't feel like our house. Yes, the grass is better, but I long, I yearn for a true home. And I am angry. Not at the other teams, whose success I wish with all my heart, but it really is past time for our own home. This is our house rings a little more false. Listen David, home is where I want to be, but I don't feel like I'm already there. I know, that's a bit naive.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 31 March, 2008 13:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're just an animal looking for a home.

I opened my season-ticket mailer from DCU last night and saw my vouchers for our This Is Our House t-shirts.

Oh well, I'll love them till my heart stops.

 
At 31 March, 2008 17:10, Blogger Unknown said...

I think DCUnited and MLS have got to tell the District to stop playing games or walk to PG County or elsewhere.

Want to know how rediculous the matter is, the Washington Freedom (the former pro--now W League) teams plans in a soccer specific stadium in Germantown. But four time MLS champs DCU can't.

 
At 01 April, 2008 08:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you missed the papal decree from a couple of weeks ago.

There's 14 mortal sins now. Just doesn't have the same appeal anymore...

 
At 01 April, 2008 09:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

should Bobby Boswell still be under DCU links?
-K

 
At 01 April, 2008 18:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know and understand all the issues with RFK, but it has Metro access and plenty of parking/tailgating space. Given the parking mess with the Nationals new facility, do we want the District to mess up the United situation?

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)