30 May 2006

An explanation of my obsessions

Yes, I tend toward the obsessive at times. Persuing my recent postings, I've noticed that I have this weird obsession with the Supporter's Shield. So I wanted to take a few moments to discuss why I care. In thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that part of the reason is simply because I write this blog.

Since I started writing here, I've had to pay attention to pretty much every game. Naturally, I want to fit each game as a chapter into a larger narrative. Given the well documented "hot at the right time" nature of the MLS Cup, it is difficult for me to say that Saturday's win over Kansas City really plays into the larger story in a given way. When the Cup is awarded, you can look book at pick out a couple of key games that identified when the team came into form.

The Supporter's Shield works as a matter of narrative convenience. If you're not right on the line for making the playoffs, it is hard to see how individual games make a difference, but not so the Shield. It makes paying attention to each game rewarding, and makes it easier for me to focus on a given game. As a result, I tend to get obsessive over something that, until this year, meant nothing. Even this year, depending on how the CONCACAF Champion's League qualification situation is ultimately decided, the Supporter's Shield might be cheapened a bit. Still, it's fun to watch.

So if I keep harping on it, just write it off to "He needs something to keep track of, or he'd be whining about how pointless it all seemed."