23 May 2006

On the Internet, an Hour is a Long Time

Sitting in my draft post file was an post called "First Quarter Grades" This post contained the phrase "I can't believe I'm writing this, but the defensive line needs Brandon Prideaux." While I was messing around earning a living, the Mid-Atlantic Soccer Report beats me to the punch, with a report card that looks fairly similar (you'll have to take my word for that) to the one I was drafting. So check it out. For those that are curious, my grades are below (with similar reasoning in many cases) and I'll put the MidAtlantic grades in the brackets:

Troy Perkins: B [B-] -- In my mind, he's earned the starting job for the immediate future.
Brandon Prideaux: A [A]
Facundo Erpen: B [B-]
Bobby Boswell: B- [B]
Josh Gros: B [B]
Bryan Namoff: C+ [B] -- His injury made him a vulnerability for a few games there.
Brian Caroll: A [A+]
Ben Olsen: A [A+]
Freddy Adu: B+ [B-] -- Really, he's been very good this year, and doing things such as playing defense so much better.
Christan Gomez: B- [B+] -- I think the first few games are dragging this grade down a bit for me.
Jamie Moreno: C+ [C+]
Alecko Eskandarian: A [B+] -- He's putting the ball into the net. He does his job, and he does it well.
Lucio Filomeno: D [C-] -- Has been underwhelming, and not in a way that made me think he's going to break out of it. Of course, I may be bitter since I thought he would break through this year. Also a victim in comparison to Alecko.
Jamil Walker: A [B+]
Piotr Nowak: B [B]
Clyde Simms, Dominic Mediate: Incomplete.

5 Comments:

At 23 May, 2006 14:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd put Gros higher. He's playing well on both ends of the field. I suspect that if things don't turn around soon, the Filomeno experiment will be short-lived. Has Jamie been taken out of a game yet this season? On the basis of keeping him in so much and allowing him to wear down, I'd knock down Nowak a bit. I'm thrilled with Freddy this year, just waiting for him to find the back of the net. Wonder if any of the reserves are going to get a shot this year?

-K

 
At 23 May, 2006 15:01, Blogger D said...

K: I agree that Gros plays both sides of the field well at any given time, but I don't think he's learned the best way to handle both attacking and defending repsonsibilities. That, for me, is where is room for improvement.

Jamie has played every minute this year. It is something I've been watching. I agree... give him a beather now and then.

That being said, Nowak has the team playing well enough to win pretty much every game. I may disagree with a sub here or a line-up there, but part of me thinks Nowak is still experimenting on what he wants to do, and figuring out what he has this year. That motivation is one I think is great.

As for reserves... Mediate has gotten a shot. I would not be surprised to see Dyachenko in a late sub role at some point before Game #24. As for Moose/J. Carroll... you're guess is as good as mine.

 
At 23 May, 2006 15:21, Blogger I-66 said...

I'm starting the Rimando On May 31 Movement immediately.

 
At 23 May, 2006 16:00, Blogger D said...

Say "Hi" to Rimando's Army for me.

 
At 23 May, 2006 20:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perkins and Rimando have become the same keeper...too agressive...
good reaction saves...etc.

An important quality in a keeper is to let the defense cover what they can..cover up breakdowns..not try and make every play.

Leaving the goal wide open is the cardinal sin of keeping...Rimando and now Perkins do that quite well.

So...I think that either could start and we'd still have the same hit or miss in the goalbox.

Yes...I was beginning to like Perkins more...then I saw the Columbus match.

What the hell was he doing that far out...with defenders still tracking the forward (who had a poor angle anyway..if he's in the middle..yes come out and attack)....reminded me too much of Nicky..

Oh well...overall the team has been just OK..I'd give them a B-.

Great...considering that we've only been beaten once...and are far from hitting on all cylinders...

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)