08 July 2008

Tuesday's Cool Cool Considerate Coffee

Ah, the link farm post. But there's stuff out there worth reading, so I'll get back to my world in a bit, but first let's poke the head above the covers and see what we see.

BEN OLSEN - OUT AGAIN: Paul Tenorio writes up the sad situation, but there is something to feel good about here. First, we got to see Ben on the field again, and that was a tremendous moment. Second, Ben himself makes this choice knowing full well the situation he was in, and I feel better about that. As though somehow he has more ownership of this, rather than being at the mercy of the medical staff. And third, it just means that at some point, we get to welcome him back again. Preferably unannounced, and with WWE style entrance music (MAH-GAWD!!! IT'S BEN OLSEN!!!)

MID SEASON WRAPS: UnitedMania is up with theirs, and John Haydon at the Times is also getting into the swing of things. However, the key thing from Haydon is Olsen on Olsen:

It's almost impossible to be a soccer fan and not to have seen the mind-numbing Dick's Sporting Goods commercial starring Ben Olsen. "I'm willing to give them the money back they paid me for the commercial if they would stop playing it," Olsen said..."I wish they would stop playing it because it's ruining my soccer watching because every time it comes on I get into a bad mood and turn the TV off," Olsen added.
Now, we can debate how successful that particular advert is, but the one moment I love is Olsen looking at the TV and announcing to all around him "Oh, I got that move." That's what I love about Ben, the blasé arrogance of looking at anything and figuring out he could do it.

RATINGS: Steinberg at the Bog examines the question in detail, vis a vis the Nats. But wasn't United outdrawing the Caps, and even with the Wizards a year ago? Now we're behind both. Part of that may be that this is early season, and was perhaps also affected by United's poor start, the Caps amazing playoff run, and the Wizards once again flirting with the playoffs. I dunno, I try to keep this stuff straight in my head so that it keeps me honest.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 08 July, 2008 10:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one have always been impressed by Olsen's blas&eactute...
-K

 
At 08 July, 2008 10:20, Blogger D said...

I am highly distressed that a legitimate HTML Entity is not recognized by blogger. Sigh. That's what I get for writing by hand.

 
At 08 July, 2008 10:21, Blogger D said...

Or, of course, it could have been that there is a difference between actute and acute. Sigh. More coffee.

 
At 08 July, 2008 10:58, Blogger Kinney said...

The Wizards made the playoffs. I don't know what you meant by flirting, but usually it is used to say "no cigar." They made the playoffs, they just couldn't get past the Cavs...again.

 
At 08 July, 2008 11:09, Blogger D said...

Kinney: Poor choice of words on my part. You're right, they were pretty locked into their seed, and did make the playoffs.

 
At 08 July, 2008 12:47, Blogger EdTheRed said...

Don't think we ever got better ratings than the Wizards.

Caps are up because they've got the best hockey player on the planet - in that light, a .78 is kinda sad. I think we'd do a bit better than a .78 if we had a player like C. Ronaldo.

 
At 09 July, 2008 00:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no...the best part of that commercial is seeing Gomez completely avoid looking at the camera.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)