06 December 2005

And the answer is... Boring.

The article that Steve Goff teased in his chat is now up: Adu, United Resolve Differences.

Except that they really didn't. A close reading of this entire article tells you nothing. Go read the entire thing, and see if your analysis is like mine. For instance:
In his first media interview in seven weeks, Adu told The Post: "We laid everything on the table and everything is resolved. It's over and now we can concentrate on winning the championship again."

Followed by:

"It's not so much what Peter told me, it's what I got out of it," Adu said in a telephone interview from Bradenton, Fla., where he has begun off-season training. "There were misunderstandings between both sides and we settled that. I don't want to go into specifics and details, but it's behind us now. I'm glad I had the meeting with Peter, I'm glad I had the meeting with D.C. United and everything worked out great and I'm looking forward to the future...I don't want to go back and talk about that and dwell on it. What happened is past now and that's that...I love D.C. United."


Now, I'm happy that he loves DC United. I'm happy he'll be staying here at least for the start of next year. But there is nothing here that makes me think that the fundamental difference of opinion between Adu and Nowak is resolved. Which, given that there is a clock on Adu's US playing career ticking away, may never have to be resolved. But the same thing that happened before Chicago can happen again at any time. Adu doesn't want to talk about what happened then. Nowak won't talk about it. Their differences are being left to mutual amnesia.

Which may work. Or it may not.

4 Comments:

At 07 December, 2005 17:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freddy's only at DC for another year or two before moving to Europe right? And he'll probably do some time on the pine in Europe. Maybe he's figuring out that complaining about PT now can get him a rep that will hurt him later. So why not stay with DC where he knows his teammates and they know him from a soccer playing perspective and have a truely smashing season. At any rate I'm thrilled that Freddy is coming back. He is simultaneously an overdog (mega-hyped, big news) and an underdog (so much smaller than the other players) Its exciting to see what he does or doesn't do on the field.
-K

 
At 08 December, 2005 09:58, Blogger D said...

That's a very reasonable interpretation of things, and I am also happy Freddy is back. If he can keep his temprament under control (and, on the other side, if Nowak stops with the "lemme see if I can teach Freddy a lesson tratement") I think that the next two years before Freddy ships out to Europe could be pretty good. I certainly hope so. The point I was trying to make is that the central tension of Freddy/Piotr is not yet resolved, as far as I can tell, it is more likely just deferred or ignored. Which could work out fine.

 
At 08 December, 2005 09:59, Blogger D said...

PS, you wouldn't be the same K I met at an SE playoff viewing party, would you? If you are, I wanted to let you know I loved it, and appreciated your work.

 
At 08 December, 2005 13:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you that the tension will continue--I also hope that the tension will cease to matter or even dissipate as both figure out that they have more to gain from each other in the limited time window left than they can gain by carping. At any rate, I doubt we'll see a replay of this year's debacle.
Also this year should be interesting since Freddy should get physically bigger. If he doesn't grow much more(growth spurts can be fickle things-- I'm 5"7', I know)could it limit his career/durability? I guess there are plenty of small soccer players but a little more size would help, particularly in the international game.
-K
(By the way, I'm a different, male "K", I've used it as a sign off for years and years. There's also already a "K" at big soccer. Guess that's what I get for having a signature that is one of the letters of the alphabet.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)