11 May 2006

Stonefoot or Killer?

Commenter Nick looks at my potential all star ballot and thinks I'm nutso:

If Eskandarian is an all-star in mls, the league is in big trouble. All-star performances? Watch him closely next game and you will see that in every game he plays, including every game this year, stone-foot loses possession of the ball about 80% of the time he touches it. If you can't control the ball and constantly give it to the other team, you cannot be an all-star, no matter how much red-bull you spit out...

Now, here's the thing. I admit that much of what he says resonates for the 2004 and start of the 2005 seasons, but this year I don't think I've seen it as much. Esky2006, to my eyes at least, seems better at both running at people, using the ball in small amounts of space, and playing decent passes to other attacking options. But maybe Nick is right and I'm missing it. It's possible (the strange thing about soccer is that one's eyes can be deceived so easily...) Am I viewing Esky through overly rose-tinted shades, or has he brought his game up a level? I leave the option out there for you to look to examine.

5 Comments:

At 11 May, 2006 16:26, Anonymous Joe said...

Esky isn't going to nutmeg anyone, but he's neither a bad ball-handler nor a bad passer. Hey, he's got two assists already.

 
At 11 May, 2006 16:32, Anonymous Brian said...

Stonefoot? Yeah his first goal of the year against NYRB showed no touch whatsoever....

 
At 11 May, 2006 19:06, Blogger SccrPlaya said...

It would be nice to show a comparison forward. Who should be an all-star forward in Eskandarian's place? Ching obviously, but who stands out after that? Whether or not he becomes an all-star, he's one of the most exciting players in the league. If he loses the ball 80% of the time (big if) the other 20% of the time he's on the verge of incredible plays.

 
At 17 May, 2006 19:45, Blogger Neal Thurman said...

I disagree with the hypothesis in general. There are plenty of strikers who can't dribble to save their lives. I just watched the Champions League Final and Eto'o isn't much better than Esky with the ball at his feet.

Esky isn't in his class as a finisher but "just" being a finisher is enough for a striker (especially with Jaime as a partner) and Esky is pretty good at that (for MLS).

 
At 17 May, 2006 21:48, Blogger D said...

Neal... I tend to agree with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)