25 July 2006

Seattle Matt Gets His Game

Commenter Seattle Matt sent me the email announcing the Real Madrid - DC United exhibition in Seattle. Some are annoyed that DC is flying out to the west coast, but are trying to reconcile it as "in the interest of MLS." I'm not sure that I buy that it is a sales demo, given that the Sounders are a pretty decently supported team out there, but if nothing else, it gives Pacific Northwest DC expats a chance to see our beloved team, so I can't begrudge them that. Yes, I kind of have the same feeling about this match that I had about the last time a team traveled for a friendly against Real Madrid, but not quite as intense.

So to Seattle Matt and our other PacNW bretheren, I wish you well on the game. Enjoy it. As for DC fans in other parts of the country, I don't think we need to place too much stock in this game. Yes, Piotr will probably go out and try to win it, but he was willing to alternate players against Celtic, I have no doubt it won't be our Best XI taking the pitch against Real Madrid. Plus, if there's one thing DC United is good at, it's beating teams that overpay for foreign talent only to fail to win a championship.

Quick MLS-style Press Release Note: D has announced a posting at noon today that will have a significant impact on the future of The DCenters. Check back then.

4 Comments:

At 25 July, 2006 13:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve Z, good friend and Seattle Sounder seasonticket holder, mailed me to say:

"BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! At least now I can wear the 2004 MLS Championship t-shirt you sent me to a DCU game."

MLS is still at the stage where if a BIG club says Speak! MLS has to say Bark! I wish the game was here, but at least they have the game. It just better be on TV.

 
At 25 July, 2006 15:16, Blogger kj said...

You mean that the Sounders are a poorly-supported team exploring the possibility of moving out of Seattle to somewhere in the outlying area.

 
At 25 July, 2006 15:24, Blogger D said...

KJ: Really? While I know they don't have the support of a Thunder or Timbers, and that their season is not so good right now, I got the sense that they were doing okay in terms of support. Kind of sad if it isn't that way.

 
At 26 July, 2006 02:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

got my tickets tonight...i'm ready!!!!

Sounders have OK support, just having problems finding a proper stadium. They play most games in Seahawks stadium which is too big and costly....thus they are looking to move to other smaller cities near Seattle.

Injuries and the loss of GK Burpo (who has beaten out Guzan) have really hurt them this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)