20 April 2007

If they did Director DVDs of Public Service Announcements

"Hi, I'm Landon Donovan.

Don't discriminate.

Especially against privileged white children whose parents buy them top quality soccer gear.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go take a leak on the pitch at the Estadio Jalisco.

What? Why's everyone looking at me?"

FURTHER THOUGHTS: I just don't get this PSA. Human Right #2 is "Don't Discriminate." Does that even make sense. Is it the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights - "All people are endowed with the right to not discriminate." Huh? A right is the same thing as an imperative command? And why #2? Is #1 the right to be immune from criticism about your performance overseas? What the hell?

In case you're curious, the second right enumerated in the preamble to the UN Universal declaration is "Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people." Just so you know.

You know what? I think this is a more positive message about human rights. Let me get my credit card out.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 20 April, 2007 15:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be fair, have you ever tried to go use a restroom in that stadium?

Highly not recommended.

 
At 20 April, 2007 16:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think maybe the #2 would refer to this?

Article 2
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.

Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

==========

I'm kind of confused by your post, though. I don't understand how this is a bad message or how a breast cancer awareness fundraiser is a better one. Or is it just that we don't like Landon Donovan?

 
At 20 April, 2007 16:56, Blogger D said...

Joanna: Hmmmm... that could be it in terms of the "#2" question, but let me elucidate further on my soapbox.

First, a right is not expressed as a command. You have the right to free speech, not "US Bill of Rights #1: Speak Freely!"

Second, the ad sucks. Really badly. If the kids are discriminating on anything, it is the fact that the kid is small and weak looking, which even Article 2 doesn't say anything about. The fact that it's a cute white kid also seems a bit... shall we say... naive about where discrimination actually occurs?

Third, I find the race for the cure a better message because it is actionable. Someone is running to raise money for a cause that will fund something good. I can get behind that. What are you supposed to do after the Landon Donovan ad, other than keep an eye out for Blondie McCracker in a game of five-a-side?

Fourth, I don't like Landon Donovan.

Fifth, Why does he show up at all? What special importance does his presence lend that ad? Nothing.

Sixth, I really don't like Landon Donovan.

 
At 20 April, 2007 17:40, Blogger Kinney said...

I can't stand these ads because it is a kid getting picked last for a game and MLS is calling it discrimiation. If thats the case that I should sue for the right to play for United.

Actually I would play for Chivas or Chicago, no way would I handicap United by making them put me on the roster.

 
At 23 April, 2007 18:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this. Can you give me the link to the PSA?

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)