05 April 2006

Respect For Power, and Question Authority

One of things that annoys me about "Power Rankings" is that frequently they're just a ranking as if all teams were on a single table. This is not unique to MLS, as I see the same thing in MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA power rankings. If a team isn't in the place dictated by its single table record, it's because of preseason expectations along the lines of "we all know that team isn't that talented, so I don't want to look like a fool for putting them that high. I also know Team X is much more talented than their record, so I'll move them up a spot, even though they've played like crap."

Which is why I want to direct everyone to Mike H.'s Week #1 Power Rankings, where he goes out on a limb. Now, probably most people are putting New England at the top of their list. Yup, they're undefeated, and everyone knows that they're the most talented. But Mike H. says "Hold on, sure, they won, but their play wasn't that great. Are you going to believe the conventional wisdom on your own eyes?" And just like that, he drops them to #9, behind the New York Red Bulls. That's ballsy. I respect that. That's how Power Ranking should be done. You should really be thinking critically about what you've seen to date, and rank accordingly. Well done sir.

1 Comments:

At 05 April, 2006 19:59, Blogger Mike H said...

Thanks for the kind words. I actually had New England up a couple spots when I first made my list, but then I just could not do it. Like you say, got to go with what I see, not what should be. Again, thanks.

By the way, happy birthday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)