04 April 2006

Like 300 Trumpets and Just One is Out of Tune

There's a lot of happiness over MLS opening weekend. My Soccer Blog plays up the attendance angle. Maradawga hits that note and praises the rookie class performance in his new five and five feature. Everyone is happy about the new TV deal starting in 2007. So someone out there can probably put my one little worry to rest fairly quickly.

While watching the FCD-Chicago fixture, my eye was drawn to the upper right hand corner of the screen to see if I could spot any new sponsors getting some ad money into MLS/SUM. Amidst Radio Shack and Sierra Mist, I noticed around the 37th minute, I saw the logo of the US Soccer Foundation. The US Soccer Foundation? Why are they buying ad time?

I don't want anyone to think I have anything against them. They do good work. My question is: Why does the charitable arm of US Soccer have enough cash to afford that block of time? Is there so little demand to sponsor that section of the match to force the price that low?

So while I'm pleased with the attendence, and the play, I do wonder... where were the sponsors for a frickin' nationally televised game? Of course, it is possible that the time was given to the USSF as a tax write-off/public service thing. If someone knows more about this, please educate me.

3 Comments:

At 04 April, 2006 17:27, Blogger Mike H said...

I noticed that as well. I guessed, as you did, that it was some sort of donation.

By the way, New York Red Bulls were a sponsor of the DC-NY game. Since that match was not a national one, it's a bit more understandable, but I thought you might like to know.

 
At 04 April, 2006 17:29, Blogger D said...

On Comcast's broadcast? That's horrific.

 
At 04 April, 2006 21:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Guess is that mike h was stuck on mlsnet's webcast... which (for some dumb reason) decided to use Fox Sports NY / MSG with "JP" instead of CSN and Dave Johnson... and yes... RBNY was a sponsor on that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)