01 September 2006

A Deflower Dilemma

Sorry to be late in posting this... just as I think real life will subside for a moment, it comes roaring back at me. But anyways, my Operation: Deflower! story starts with the friend I took to the LA-DC game, whose results are now well known.

My friend, let's call him Adam (although his real name is, well, Adam) is an old college friend. We were in the same improvisational comedry troupe. Anyways, I called him up to see if he wanted to go to the game, and he was game. So off we went. I decided that a DC United experience is not complete without some interaction with the beautiful community of DC United fans, so I bought him an Screaming Eagles tailgate pass and we made our way to Lot 8. Now, since it was his first game, I had secured tickets on the quiet side, so that he could see the supporter's groups and later make up his mind on whether he wanted to join them for another game or not. Still, I wanted to expose him to this wonderful community that exists, and this seemed the gentlest way (and one should be gentle when it's the first time.)

Now, I should probably admit that most of the SE Crew probably don't know me, but pretty much everyone who I knew came up and introduced him or herself to Adam. There was a strong welcome rolled out for a guy that they didn't even know. Makes me proud of my fellow fans. Adam was chowing on some grill food as Dave, K, and some of the others came by, including one woman who went to our shared alma mater. It was pretty cool. But it was here when I was suddenly faced with a problem: Adam doesn't drink alcohol. It's just his thing. Which is cool, don't get me wrong. But can I really be doing my part for the Free Beer movement if all Adam has is a Sierra Mist? I had to do something. Well, being an upstanding FBM supporter, I did the only thing I could think of. I got him a beer. Then I drank his beer, for him. It seemed the only right thing to do. That beer had a higher calling, and it must be fulfilled.

Anyways, Adam enjoyed the game. I think one of the things that amaze people when they first see a game is just how difficult some of the routine things are. He marveled at how players could settle a ball that had just popped up thirty feet in the air on his foot. He noticed that DC seemed tired. He grasped the concept of offside remarkably quickly.

Will he back again? I don't know. I hope so. And next time maybe we'll hang out in the bouncing stands.

3 Comments:

At 01 September, 2006 11:03, Blogger I-66 said...

...as long as they aren't throwing things at Landy-cakes.

I hate LA as much as the next guy, but the kind of treatment we get from the organization can be put in jeopardy by people throwing various things on the field like that... Sadly my pleas for the idiots to stop went unheeded.

 
At 01 September, 2006 17:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant....nothing wrong with staying true to your free beer principles....

I too...was forced to drink by buddy's beer at the DC/Real game.

What must be done, must be done.

OK..so I got DK...but not so that I could see DC get wacked. Let's root for a win tomorrow...

 
At 03 September, 2006 21:43, Blogger Soji Slade said...

By the way, just as a note of caution, but everyone and anyone involved in exposing me to the MLS and DC United will be forced to drink my beer for me also. I hope that isn't a problem :).

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)