16 November 2006

The Adu Evaluation

Reader TC sent us an email link to this Ian Penderleith article in the Guardian's blog: Is Freddy Adu any good? The thing with Penderleith is that while you might disagree with him, and I certainly don't in this piece, you always get the sense that he has used reason and thought in his comments. So he's always worth reading.

And if Reader TC is wondering: Our rule is that we don't identify emailers by name unless they want us to, so I thought I'd try and give you some credit without necessarily selling out your identity. Take a bow in the comments if you want people to know.

4 Comments:

At 16 November, 2006 13:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this fellas. I thought it was a well-thought-out assessment of Freddy's situation. And, somewhere in between the cheap shots at Americans in the comments, there were several suggestions that Reading would work out well Freddy. My only concern there is that this could put Convey and Adu in competition for minutes - a situation which neither of those players, nor the USMNT needs.

Honestly, I hope he does well, but all along my contention is that Freddy needs to wind up at a mid-table squad in the Premiership, or in Holland or France where he can consistently see first team action. I just hope he doesn't let his ego get in the way. If Man U or Chelski decide to buy him, I hope he doesn't accept it unless there is a loan deal involved. I don't want to see him end up like Shawn Wright-Phillips.

 
At 16 November, 2006 14:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see some additonal coverage of MLS and discussion of DCU (the "other" skill players) across the pond, even if it is from Ian.

It wouldn't be too surprising to see ManU or Chelski pick him up, farm him out, since he's still likely to be cheap by their standards. They might even consider it as a means of building their brand over here, more than having him be a big contribution to their team.

 
At 16 November, 2006 15:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is it about the article that you disagree with?

 
At 16 November, 2006 15:41, Blogger D said...

Sorry, I used the double negative. I will disagree with Penderleith from time to time, but in this article I find nothing to disagree with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)