01 March 2007

First Impressions - DC United 3 : 2 CD Olimpia

Aggregate - DC United 7 : 3 CD Olimpia
DC United advances to CONCACAF Champion's Semifinal

I'm wet. I'm tired. I'm hoarse. But I was happy I was there. And I'm still happy now.

Go ahead and leave MotM suggestions in the comments. Yes, Luciano Emilio is definitely the real deal, and to see it in person is to see so much more than just him having the ball at his feet. A brace is pretty much going to make him the front runner for MotM honors. Still, a couple of other performances are worth a mention: Clyde Simms and Facundo Erpen were both much improved from last week, and Clyde impressed me quite a bit with his timing. Ben Olsen was a great second half sub, and he kept his play controlled despite suffering more than a few hard fouls. Boswell was decent, Namoff acceptable after giving up the penalty. The offense didn't have to run through Gomez, but he did well when he had it.

Some disappointments, but we can save those for tomorrow. DC did what they had to do, and then they did a bit more than that. The team took a step forward, both in terms of the competition and in the form they showed on the pitch. Now we get Real Chivas next (See what I did there? Clever, eh?). March 15. If we can brave the elements for this game, you can brave it for the next one.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 02 March, 2007 06:45, Blogger Joel said...

It's been a long time since we've seen Erpen look that good... let's hope he can give that kind of performance for Chivas!

 
At 02 March, 2007 08:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have to give a long look at Gomez, he was hounded (seriously hounded...) all game but still produced good movement and chances with every touch he was getting.

As for Namoff... I am over toward that side... I am still not sure Namoff even touched that guy.

If you want to be mad at Namoff, be mad at him for thinking he was Erpen without the ability to win the tackles 99% of the time.

 
At 02 March, 2007 09:12, Blogger D said...

DC Nats: If Perkins is out, he's going to have to.

Jason S: My first thought was that the penalty was merited. Haven't seen the replay, but my impression at the time was that it was legit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)