11 May 2007

TNS In Review

Real Salt Lake - Colorado was actually more entertaining, I thought, than New England-DC United. It wasn't nearly as well played of a game, but there was enough happening that it kept the interest. The booth had their best game to date, and ESPN got lucky with their inane 30 in :30 update missing an off-side goal...

But, I think it is clear to everyone that the offside technology is a fraud. That's okay, I can get beyond that, but if there was one "innovation" I was looking forward to this season, it was that. This game, which turned so frequently on off-side calls of one type or another, would have been a great one to have showcased this technology. But they didn't have it. Fine. I feel cheated, and annoyed, but I can get beyond that.

Also, I think I can kinda like RSL now that Ellinger is off the sideline. Jason Kreis' comments about "playing on a nice grass field" (a cute little shot at Rice-Eccles, I suppose) and his demeanor make me want to see this team do well now. I want Freddy Adu to succeed, and I think hearing the message of "you need to play out wide" from someone other than Piotr Nowak may be easier for Freddy to take since now he's no longer convinced it is from someone biased against him. So I hope they get three points soon.

I'm hoping to have one other post up today, but we'll see. It may wait until the weekend.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11 May, 2007 11:45, Blogger Unknown said...

I propose an addendum to the Eric Wynalda Can Only Say Something Three Times rule:

"Eric Wynalda May Not Comment on the Referees."

Tommy Smyth has a much better understanding of the Laws than Eric does, but Eric usually just talks over him. Tommy, for example, was right when he said that a defender deflecting the ball is not 'playing' the ball for purposes of the offside law. But Eric kept on trucking...

 
At 11 May, 2007 11:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all honesty I don't care if Adu succeeds or fails at RSL. I really felt that while he was at United he was a distraction to the point that I think it actually affected the outcome of the last two post seasons. I really see Adu as someone who will probably be very adept at the current level of play in MLS but I really never saw much that made me feel like he had a chance at Europe and being an impact American player.

I don't wish ill will on him, but I really don't have any love loss for Adu. I am glad he's gone from United and we can build a team without building it around an unproven "wunderkid"

 
At 11 May, 2007 12:26, Blogger Kali said...

I hope RSL gets three points soon too, haha.

I've only seen TNS once so far this season, but was that really the best they've done? Because I kind of wanted to impale myself on a butter knife during half of the game...

 
At 11 May, 2007 13:00, Blogger Bob said...

Eric W was virtually incomprehensible during his "red card/yellow card" segment last night.

In general, the problem with that segment is that it assumes way too much about how closely the average viewer follows the minutiae of the league from week to week.

But this week? Did D-Ro get a red card for scoring two goals? Huh? Roger Clemens? What? "car/card"? WTF? I just watched the segment on ESPN.com and it is complete gibberish.

 
At 11 May, 2007 13:28, Blogger jason said...

I think Eric Wynalda is long overdue for the Freezer... very low on the Freezer. I don't understand how someone who played the game can be so completely dumb about it. Dave O'Brian would probably have a much better play by play if he didn't have such a fool next to him. Wynalda also has a definite forward's complex, he always seems to side with the forward when something happens, no matter that it was obviously not that way.

Unfortunately, ESPN does MLS a disservice by having him up there because he indoctrinates up and coming fans into thinking that the rules are not that important, because the analysts ignore them.

 
At 11 May, 2007 14:23, Blogger D said...

Jason: I've slowly been trying to figure out a way to separate elements of the ESPN crew for the freezer. Eric Wynalda may split off of ESPN next week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)