13 June 2007

Jaime Can't Start

The DCU news today is that Jaime Moreno has been recalled to the Bolivian National Team. The Times and The Post both go with the story, each with different parts of Moreno's written statement. From the Times:

"I am truly honored to once again have the opportunity to play for Bolivia in a prestigious tournament like Copa America," Moreno said in a statement. "I've worked hard the last couple of years to earn this opportunity to get back on the national team."
Steve Goff in The Post takes adds some detail:
"I've worked hard the last couple of years to earn this opportunity to get back on the national team," Moreno, 33, said in a written statement.
Goff goes on to add speculation about Kpene, Dyachenko, Fred, or Addlery seeing more time as Moreno is out.

When I wrote that Jaime should start a few weeks ago, this was precisely the situation I had in mind. United was going to be forced to play without Moreno for some time, so until then it made sense to have him start games. United will now get a good chance to evaluate their option while Moreno takes part in his well-earned National Team duties. I think this situation is somewhat analogous to Ben Olsen's World Cup duty last year. Ben was clearly a good player for us, but when he came back the issue of where he fit into the lineup appeared as Simms and Carroll had filled in well and the team was winning. United will be fortunate to have the same run of form away, but if they do it makes any potential transition of Jaime's role that much easier for everyone concerned. If ever there was a good time to lose a team leader (and there really isn't, but just go with me for a moment here) then this is it.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 13 June, 2007 09:30, Blogger I-66 said...

I just hope he comes back healthy.

 
At 13 June, 2007 09:33, Blogger D said...

Shhh! Don't tempt fate...

I think his minutes will be limited. Hopefully that will help.

 
At 13 June, 2007 09:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why the "note to self":
Note to self: Luciano before Emilio.
-K

 
At 13 June, 2007 09:36, Blogger D said...

Anon K: Because I've consistently been writing "Emilio Luciano" instead of "Luciano Emilio" And some commenters have, quite rightly, called me on it. The worst part is it just comes from my fingers that way, some muscle memory thing. So it's a way of poking fun at myself.

 
At 16 June, 2007 09:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so on the fence about Jaime...he is a big reason "flowing" and "composure in tight situations" has been a DC hallmark. But he doesn't seem to be running off the ball as well and hasn't been able to finish like he did so wonderfully just a year or two ago. Remember that solo run through three players with a slot finish that left your mouth gaping? Is that player still wearing golden boots?

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)