08 January 2008

Flirting with Flirting

It's hard for me to get excited about any transfer news. Part of this is because after the Veron drama, anything is anti-climactic. Part of it is also a sense that the vaunted Argentine connection just may not be all-that. Yes, we have gotten several excellent players from South America, but from Argentina only Christian Gomez remains. Erpen has been traded, Donnet and Filomeno did not pan out, and neither of our two major signings from last year were based on the Argentinean pipeline (Fred from Brazil via Australia, and Emilio from Brazil via everywhere and Honduras). So while a signing wouldn't surprise me from Argentina, I don't believe that this is the end. There are other places to go, other people to see. We have more than one place to fill in the roster... we have many. And while I would like to have names and faces, I can't really think that Argentina, soccer power that it is, is some panacea to all our needs. We are not Real Salt Lake. Our needs are diverse, the bar is higher, we will need to look farther afield. This is but one stop. Or, at least, it should be.

The other odd thing is that part of me wants a player simply because United is linked with that player. Put on the black kit and you're one of mine, a tribal impulse of passion through fashion. And right now, I don't want to give into that feeling. Let's see what these players have to offer, then make decisions.

Finally, one final point. We've heard the analysis on how the Argentinean currency collapse made it more attractive for foreign players to come to the United States, but what now that the dollar is so weakened? Yes, there are more SI slots, but if the dollar doesn't go as far, then can we really get the same bargains as before? Outside of Designated Player acquisitions, I believe the next two years will see a decreased impact for International signings, and a devaluation of their expected impact. The quality of life may still be an attraction, but the power and stability of the dollar may not.

As you can see, my thoughts in the offseason are diffuse... how I long for a game to focus on.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 08 January, 2008 13:16, Blogger The Manly Ferry said...

Dang me, I'm with you on the unfocused off-season thinking. Games are needed. Otherwise, I wouldn't be posting this sort of drivel.

 
At 08 January, 2008 15:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Argentine peso is still primarily driven off of keeping a 3:1 ratio with the US Dollar, so that analysis remains true. The week dollar is still strong, just not as strong as the Euro, in economies like Argentina and Bolivia. Brazil, however, is another matter.

 
At 08 January, 2008 16:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Franco Niell. (And maybe Gonzalo Peralta.) Problem solved. Not...

Peralta would be a great addition. Hopefully so would Niell, but I think he would be more of a filler and less of a necessity like Peralta. Even so. 2 Argentine possibilities right there for ya, mate. Argentina has been good to us. We shouldn't keep our focus only on that country but we can't shut them out either.

I seriously doubt any acquisitions from Brazil this season. Maybe a few random guys from South/Central America.

I was hoping for a Mexican but I think they are definitely akin to Chivas USA. DCU is the Argentine/Brazilian -turned-American footballer place for some reason. Personally I like that.

All in all I don't mind the Argentina focus. We do need some other players though--Argentines tend to be very attack-minded and I personally think we need to focus on defense.

PS: Need games? Watch La Liga. I think it's the best football - soccer around. I love MLS of course but La Liga's quality is excellent. Plus it's in the middle of Copa del Rey at the moment. (Visca el Barca!!!) :D

 
At 08 January, 2008 18:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were saying...

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/
01/08/deportes/d-04703.htm

The link I posted is to Argentine newspaper Clarin that is saying DC United are close to signing Franco Niell, a tiny striker for Argentinos Juniors. I haven't seen him play a whole lot but I think he's a fairly young forward who has a decent scoring record. I believe he is somewhat of a gnat in that he buzzes around opponents and has become known for being somewhat of a "simulator".

Will keep you guys posted if/when it goes final.

 
At 09 January, 2008 10:05, Blogger D said...

Ferry:It's a tough time, but we fight the good fight.

Anon1: Good stuff. Very helpful, thanks.

Catherine-Lucia: I am intrigued by the idea of Peralta, but is that even being discussed. As for Niell - he helps, but doesn't address some other issues. Still, it would be a start. And I do enjoy La Liga, and while I can't say I root for Barca, they at least get my interest as a neutral (as do Sevilla [yikes] and a few others)

 
At 09 January, 2008 10:07, Blogger D said...

Anon2: "I believe he is somewhat of a gnat in that he buzzes around opponents and has become known for being somewhat of a 'simulator'" -- Hmmm... not sure how well the transition to MLS defenses (and MLS officials) will go. Hmmm.... So he's a faster Carlos Ruiz? Hmmm....

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)