15 March 2006

Disproportionate Force

DEFEND THE TURF FROM THE NEW YORK INVASION
NY/NJ Soccer reports that Alexi Lalas may be trying to bus in Red Bull New York supporters to DC United's home opener. The ownership might offer a complete free ride for this event. Now, I may think that even this offer will result in a negligible turn-out compared to the Black and Red faithful filling RFK, but none-the-less it is an attempt to throw down the gauntlet. And this is what you do to deal with that:

You may have been on the fence about going to the home opener. Well, you will be buying a ticket and attending April 2. You may think that clapping along while sitting on the quiet side feels a bit silly. You may furtively turn your head to see if anyone else in your row is echoing Salvadore's drumbeat. Not any more. You will clap. You will cheer. You will support United. You will not let some random section of RFK dominate the cheers for even a minute. Not even after they (theoretically) score a goal. Silence is anathema.

Yes, it is a pathetic little provocation. Even if we didn't try it probably wouldn't matter. Still, the way to deal with this is with overwhelming force. We don't sit around and let people try to take home away from our team. No sir, we're going to show exactly how pathetic this plan is. And the only way to do that is to so completely own our field that other clubs never even consider this type of plan.

To DC United ex-patriates in New York, I call on you to infiltrate this event. Take the Red Bull's money, enjoy the bus trip, and then put on your Roy Lassiter jersey once you reach your seat. In fact, if you're planning on doing this, drop me a line.

I give Alexi Lalas all the credit in the world for trying this. I ask you to now make it a a gutsy, risky, and expensive mistake for him by completely drowning them out. In ten years, the New Jersey franchise has never really achieved even an important symbolic victory over DC. That doesn't change with new ownership. Vamos United.

3 Comments:

At 15 March, 2006 20:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D,
I was going to wait and post this as a surprise, but just to make you feel better, I am going for a mass deflower operation at the home opener. I'm trying to get the graduate student gov't at my fine institution of higher learning to pony up the cash for group tickets (~25 hopefully) so that the attendees will only need to pay $5. We'll be on the quiet side, but at the least it's better than having the seats occupied by RBNY (NYRB's ?) fans (such as my brothers :-) ).

Also, your post reminds me of an idea I had to get American fans into games more, get them to realize it's ok to stand and sing and chant. I'll have to post on that after I mull through the details.

 
At 16 March, 2006 07:29, Blogger Bill-DC said...

When DC goes up a goal, two goals they'll quiet down and just drink their way to the end of the game.

I'll give the Red Donkey credit though for trying here.

John, I like your idea a lot. I hope it works out.

 
At 16 March, 2006 09:36, Blogger D said...

John: If I could give you a medal, I would. And I'm gonna be playing this up more in a later post. Well done sir. Well done indeed.

Bill-DC: Quite valid point.

RWHgeek: Nice to see it over at BS. No, I don't mind in the least, the more people (especially DCU ex-pats in NY) the better. If any sign up over there, please put them in touch with me. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)