13 June 2007

Pick your battles

I honestly was going to do it. I had an entire post written on why I didn't think much of the USA's victory over El Salvador last night, about how it was the least convincing game of the three, about how DMB got man of the match for doing pretty much what Brian Ching was pilloried for in the game before (getting 10 chances and converting one-fifth of them). Really, I was going to write all that. Yes, even after I had said I thought it was ridiculous Bradley was catching flak for winning, I was going to go and add to that pile after the most convincing score line of the Gold Cup to date.

But ultimately, I'm not going to do it. Not because of the charges of hypocracy which could be lobbed my way. Not because it seemed like a silly argument on its fact. But just because there are times when you need to accept that your interpretation, or argument, of a text (and I think we can treat a match as text) just don't need to be advanced. Would it matter? Nah. Bradley was clearly having fun seeing what would happen if you put Dempsey up top. It wasn't a game that ultimately one could draw any conclusions from provided the scoreline ended with the USA having more goals than El Salvador. So there's no reason for me to make that argument. It just wasn't worth it. But just so you know I'm honest with you... I thought about it. I really did.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 13 June, 2007 16:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D-totally off topic, but can anyone find out more about some of our reserves/guest players? At the recent reserve match box score I came across names like Matt Cross, Geoff Walker & Anders Kelto. Just thought this might also be of interest to fellow readers

 
At 13 June, 2007 17:39, Blogger Mr. Fish said...

I appreciate your sentiment, and I wasn't enamored of our performance last night either. Bornstein, Gooch, and Mastro weren't their best, and DmB did little to help himself, outside of the two goals, of course. :)

Ten years ago, matches like this weren't a foregone conclusion for the US. They were frought with terror and we wound up with a number of ties when we should have had wins.

In 2005, the Nats found they could win on the road in Concacaf (ex-Azteca) without too much trouble. In 2007, we expect every match to end 4-0 (at least vs. poorer opponents). Last night's did, but for some reason we're still unsatisfied.

I think we want artistry every time out. I think we want every single opportunity converted. I think we sometimes forget that there are 11 other guys on the field that are trying to slow us down, to distract us. Ask Mexico, Costa Rica, and Canada how the Gold Cup has been for them, and they'd trade with us in a heartbeat.

Bob is 7-0-1 in his first eight matches as coach, in what should be a completely experimental year. Amazing. He's but in rookies on the international level, and all have performed.

Even if the US doesn't win the Gold Cup, and even if we crash out in Venezuela, it's important to note that this year is all about '08 and '09. All about getting ready for South Africa 2010. We should try to take away some enjoyment from getting the kinks out. Try, anyway.

 
At 13 June, 2007 17:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you mean "charges of hypocrisy".

 
At 13 June, 2007 18:52, Blogger em said...

Hello my name is Mohsen, Me and my friend have created a blog all about US Soccer

If you would so kindly add our blog to you link list we will gladly add yours to ours, Thanks alot.

Check out the site!

www.ussoccerpress.blogspot.com

 
At 14 June, 2007 09:31, Blogger D said...

Anon: I'll look into it. I know Kinney's really wanted to beef up our coverage of reserve games and the like, so perhaps it can happen.

Mr. Fish: Well said. I think you captured what I wanted to say very well. And Bradley so far has been admirable, especially in his willingness to try new things. I like that. He's not simply Bruce-redux. And the US has played well. I can't explain still why a 4-nil result was less satisfying than the previous two games, but all the little errors bugged me more. But that's all they were, little errors, not the major gaffes we saw as recently as 2006.

Anon 2: You are, of course, correct. And are more than welcome to apply for our editor's position here. I clearly need one.

Moz: Will do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)