20 November 2006

What do you do with a player like Rimando?

I can't seem to stop singing wherever I am. And what's worse, I can't seem to stop saying things - anything and everything I think and feel.  I must be a blogger. Nothing.

Allow me to clarify. Right now, Rimando has very little trade value, having been exposed and passed over in the expansion draft. Steve Goff seems to think you might get a 2nd round SuperDraft pick for him. That's not a whole lot for a player that could, and perhaps should, be a regular starter for half of the teams in this league.

Right now, teams are assessing their options, planning their acquisitions, making their plans. Teams with defecits at keeper are probably figuring ways of upgrading at that position that do not involve trading much value. There are always USL keepers to look at, potential draft picks, or if you're FC Dallas, more international acquisitions to waste.

However, by about Week 5 in the MLS season, at least some of those plans will be thwarted. There are multiple teams then that could be looking to stay comptetive by acquiring a decent keeper after an injury or a failed hope. Those teams include: FC Toronto, LA, Houston, Columbus, and Kansas City. Rimando could be much more attractive then for those teams, and DC would likely get more for Rimando than they would get now. Additionally, having Rimando would allow DC to make sure that Perkins is pushed in camp, which I think is a good thing. So right now, I say hold onto Rimando, and allow the market to come around to increase his value. It takes patience and some nerves, but I think it would payoff and allow DC the added luxury of a few games to diagnose their own areas for upgrade in 2007.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 20 November, 2006 14:18, Blogger Oscar M. said...

how scary is it that when I saw the headline in Bloglines, I also immediately thought of the Sound of Music?

 
At 20 November, 2006 14:24, Blogger D said...

Not scary at all. It's nice that we're all equally disturbed.

 
At 20 November, 2006 15:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...I thought the exact same thing (using Bloglines too!)

 
At 20 November, 2006 15:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D,
good points. but i think clearing his salary for a foreigner might be a better use of the his 200k in the offseason rather than saving him for next year and picking up a decent mls regular in his place. i think we can make better use of that capital in the offseason...

 
At 20 November, 2006 15:28, Blogger D said...

Nick:

Valid point. But as I recall, Nick doesn't get 200K, he gets about 100K. DC over the past few years with Filomeno, Erpen, and Donnet has tended towards not using their allocations until after the season has started... So I still say you can have your cake and eat it too on this one.

 
At 20 November, 2006 16:40, Blogger Kali said...

That is a bit of Photoshopping genius there, my friend...

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)