05 March 2007

In Which I Discover that I Would Make a Bad General Manager

As Kinney recapped yesterday, a whole mess of stuff happened right before the second leg of the Olimpia match. We'll get to each of them in turn for more detail. One of those was the waiving of Domenic Mediate. Dom was one of those guys, like Shawn Kuykendall, that I had an irrational favor for. A player on the margins who put his heart into the game. I wanted Domenic to succeed. When Ihmelu chopped him down in the LA Game last year, it even started one of the few anger-tinged debates we've had in the comments here. He was a guy who, despite tanking on my fantasy team in 2005 with Columbus, I really liked.

I'll admit, I was disappointed to learn we waived him. From a business standpoint, it's probably the right decision. From an ethics viewpoint, DCU is probably in the clear since they gave him time to heal and then compete for the job. Still, though, if I were a GM I'd have a hard time cutting a guy who took a broken leg for my team last year. Yeah, I'd give him something of a pass for most of a season. Is that good business, or good soccer? Probably not. Ethically, I think all DC had to do was give him time to recover and a shot at re-earning his way onto the team. That being said, I feel horrible about seeing him leave. I know, there's little place for sentimentality when pursuing championships. It still bugs me. Mock me in the comments.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 05 March, 2007 12:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, as you wish:

"Ohhh...my name's D!! I smell like poop and bad cheeeeese! Ohhh! I'm stuupid."

 
At 05 March, 2007 13:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... are we loyal DCenters readers sure that "D" isn't really an alias for Domenic Mediate? If Mediate gets traded to KC and the name of this blog becomes "the Wizzers" we'll have our confirmation... or the Crewd... the Bullsitters... (feel free to add an "s") The FCed ups (would work for Toronto and Dallas)

-K

 
At 05 March, 2007 13:39, Blogger D said...

I give you my word that I am not Domenic Mediate... And as for the poop and cheese smell, the saleswoman assured me that this new David Beckham cologne would be the hottest thing...

 
At 05 March, 2007 17:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your sentiment, and would suggest that this is another argument for increased roster size, as this would make it easier to "carry" a marginal or comeback player who gave his leg (and maybe career) to the club.

 
At 05 March, 2007 23:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No mocking here. I was really upset about this too. I liked that kid also and man, it just plain SUCKS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)